Dating.com, a subsidiary of the Dating Group and the company behind numerous online dating sites, has released new data from its latest survey, revealing the top online trends for singles who are trying to find love in the new year.
The survey looks at what the dating industry will look like in 2022, what the key trends of finding love will be moving into the new year, and what the priorities of singles truly are. A key takeaway shows that online dating is set to remain at the forefront of matchmaking again in 2022.
Some of the key results show:
- 70% of male respondents said they like to send gifts virtually to those they are dating online. This includes food credit for takeout, ride shares to get them home after a long day, and sometimes surprise gifts at their doorstep. Meanwhile, only 6% of women have provided virtual gifts.
- A large majority of singles (90%) agree that they will be open to video chatting while dating online in 2022.
- In 2021, 40% of singles who were surveyed have warmed up to the idea of voice messages and a majority of the same singles plan on using this feature next year.
- While only 34% of the women surveyed said they like to send video messages, half of them said they would be likely to send a video to show a potential date how their day went.
- Almost all of the online daters who were surveyed (97%) have enjoyed the technology upgrades, including a more refined dating pool option based on their preferences, but the remaining 3% admitted that they enjoy a broader dating pool to keep their options open.
KJ Dhaliwal, Chief Strategy Officer at Dating Group, said: “Although in-person restrictions are loosening up, the latest upgrades in technology have made online dating the easier, more convenient, and frankly, more preferred way to jump back into the dating scene.
“From audio to video, tech that’s emerged over the last few years is what has allowed us to get better at connecting people. Next year, dating in the metaverse will give people the ability to create relationships without necessarily meeting in person. Post-covid, we will continue to see an increased use of online dating due to the heavier reliance on technology.”
Following the results of the Dating.com survey, Dhaliwal and a number of other dating experts have been able to make judgements on what they feel will be the key trends moving into 2022, and what online dating businesses need to be aware of as we move into the next twelve months.
For example, there is a belief that the widespread addition of interactive media, like audio and video, will redefine online dating and let people interact in a way that hasn’t been widely adopted yet, paving the way for audio-only dating apps.
Additional anti-scam safety settings will be included to maintain and secure the privacy of all members across online dating platforms, ensuring a more positive online dating experience. With concerns surrounding ‘catfishing’ being front of mind, dating sites are constantly working on ways to prove users’ authenticity and provide a safe space for singles looking for love. The leading dating sites will ensure that all members are personally verified by their staff to prove they are real.
Technology will continue to evolve, and in 2022 the likelihood of finding your perfect match will rise. Dating sites and platforms will continue to upgrade their algorithms and will invest in artificial intelligence that will help them present a more controlled and refined dating pool based on each user’s preferences. This will provide a smarter and more convenient experience overall.
Read more here.